Predictions for this week’s Winter Fancy Food Show
I’m in the air on my way to the Specialty Food Association’s Fancy Food Show in San Francisco, where I’ll be for the next 3 days.
I’m planning to post some photos and highlights from the show (as I’ve done in the past). But in the meantime, what food trends are people talking about for 2017?
- Using food processing byproducts creatively. For example: Sir Kensington’s Fabanase no-egg mayo made with chickpea cooking water, or drinks made with cascara, the outer husk of coffee cherries that are often discarded after harvesting beans.
- Coconut as an inclusion or core ingredient in more products.
- Cooking made easier: Items that make meal prep easier but don’t require purchasing a full meal prep kit delivered to your house.
- Lower calorie frozen treats, like Arctic Zero and Halo Top. They can’t can’t technically be called ice cream but are hard to distinguish from the real thing.
- A growing proliferation of dairy alternatives. This will move beyond the established soy and almond milks to coconut, hemp, and flax milk.
- New low carb offerings: Paleo and Whole 30-friendly items are the descendants of the Atkins craze of the mid 00s, and I’m expecting to see more of them.
If you’ll be at the show, I’d love to meet up. Please leave a comment here or contact me.